Science Fiction/Fantasy Writers Group Blog

Friday, May 21, 2004

The story so far...

Okay, Sean asks some questions that need to be answered in a post instead of the comments, so here goes:

First of all, the title. I was sorta kidding about oneironauts (did you know that the term is usually used for lucid dreamers? Never say I don't do my research...), because I realize that it would be problematic. But we should come up with something creative. Like I said, suggestions are welcome.

The second issue is the purpose of this blog. As it was described to me by our dear Grubbs, our mission is three-fold: Firstly, to keep in touch; secondly, to share our work and critique each other's writing; thirdly, (this will most likely not apply much until college starts again in the fall, for those of us who are still going to be there) is to use this blog as a way to remind ourselves of meeting times and deadlines, since the plan is still to get things published.

Another possiblity that was mentioned was that we could use this space for collaborative projects. I'm not exactly sure what Grubbs has in mind here, but I'm hoping that he'll explain it once he's on the blog.

Finally, ground rules. I don't know if you could call me the ringleader, exactly, since I'm only administrator by dint of the fact that I'm pretty good at using this Blogger thingie. But in the interest of making things run smoothly (and because I'm the one with the power to kick out all the rowdies, heh heh), I'm willing to make rulings on anything that becomes problematic here. So here we go, my first two rules (wow, I feel powerful...)

1. Swearing: as far as I'm concerned, it's fine as long as you don't overdo it (Hint: if every other word in your posting is a swear word, you've overdone it), and as long as it's not personally targeted at anyone. We're all grown-ups here (or at least pretending to be), so we can deal with it. If this is a problem for anyone, let me know and we'll work it out.

2. Post Length: Please try and keep it under 1000 words, for ease of reading and scrolling. If you have a longer piece that you'd like people to take a look at either post only a 1000-word section of it, or if you want people to read the entire thing, find somewhere else to put it up and just post a link to it here, or if you don't have another place to put it, let me know and I'll help you figure something out.

Now for a technical issue: On the sidebar to the right, I'm setting up a list of members. If there's any sort of contact information (e-mail address, personal blog, whatever) that you want your name to link to, let me know. Mine links to my e-mail address, for example, so y'all can contact me personally.

Ack! Now I've got the southern-speak bug too! But then, I spent a semester two years ago living with a girl from New Mexico who had spent most of her childhood in Louisiana and spoke like a Texan. Painful, very painful. I guess I picked up a little of the dialect.

Now, my friends, I am getting pretty tired. It's past 2 AM. Time for me to go to bed. Talk to y'all later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home